Long Time since I posted..lots I have been up to
I now have a new machine...Simply Sixteen - his name being SAM..purchased about a month ago.
I practised on this piece for a few days after Sam came home..... and have completed a couple of things since the play piece was sewn.
The first of which is my Red and White quilt... and I remembered to put my trademark quilted ladybug on too.
This was my trial piece..an old sheet with cotton wadding.. I did the whole piece...then thought I needed to quilt a 'real' one and get serious!
I have had this one for quite some time - all basted and ready...so fortunate wasn't
I :) and all safely clamped on to the frame.
Drew the circles in and the feathers...as the machine just ran away from me for a bit...I did use the circles to keep me on the right path...and also drew in the feathers..as when I did try the FMQ - the feathers went flat...it was easier to follow the lines...more or less. All the filler was new to me but having it to do in each of the white blocks was really helpful as the design burnt into my tiny brain after a bit.
I made myself a leader for the top bar..as I didn't have enough fabric to clamp it on at the top - It worked really well!
I pinned the quilt to this and clamped the leader to the bar.
I found it also great to be able to turn the quilt any which way.. as wasnt comfortable with the lot of fabric on the top rail...but I did get more used to that as I went along.
I also made long piece of wadding with fabric much the same as I was using...and un-clamped the quilt just near the end of the frame so I could just clamp this small piece to sew on, to check the tension ...I could easily see to oil the bobbin each time too.
Close up of the finished top. After I had completed all the white areas..blocks and borders.. I changed to a red thread and did the design - on I had learn t from Kimmy Brunner
in a class I was lucky enough to have with her when she was here teaching at Handcrafters House
This is the back - showing the red design a little clearer..its took a while to get directions right for a while - till it was really burnt in my mind.
This is the completed quilt..now I just have the binding to do...but first I need to get a label done..the binding is ready
I have had an absolute ball sewing this and have found my Sam...Simply Sixteen... to be so great to sew on.
I think this took about 4 weeks to get completed...from the time I purchased Dam...so I am so happy now that I have him...
I have completed another vintage tablecloth ...that was sewn mainly on my Sweet Sixteen - but I did all the reat of the fillers FMQ... I will blog on that soon.
I have Windows 10 now...hard for me! and I did get PSE 14 - but I cant work it out..so have been using my PSE 10
and THATS why I have been so long away - well mainly :)
Nice to be back!